Monday, July 23, 2012

Something different

Cocos2d logo
Zissou2d logo

It's been a couple of months since I've posted anything on this blog, but I've finally started doing something new! It was extremely important for me to understand the basics of OpenGL, but now I want to take it further and integrate this knowledge in an object-oriented environment.

This also means that I'm sadly going to stop doing my Basic Cube series for now, but it certainly doesn't mean I'm done with OpenGL! I'm going to keep a log right here, as I progress with this new thing, which is my own 2d game API called Zissou2d!...


...Well, that's mostly a lie... The truth is that I wanted to learn about the inner workings of Cocos2d (An awesome open-source framework to build 2d games), and in the process, I started rewriting (cloning?) it with the following changes:
  • Use of iOS 5+'s ARC to get rid of the micro memory management
    • Note that Cocos2d can be converted automatically (if that's what I wanted)
  • Use of GLKit
    • Math library
    • GLKView/GLKViewController
    • Possibly use GLKTextureLoader
  • Use whatever new interesting goodies iOS 6 brings us

Obviously, Cocos2d is complex and very complete. I'm not trying to build anything like it, but I want to cover the basics, and try to have something simple and functional while learning how CC2d works in details. I think it's going to be a very fun experience and hopefully, you will learn from this as much as I do.

On a side note: Lego Star Wars

No comments: