Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Part 2: Timeout or a post about posts


In this post, I will compile a list of links or books that I found extremely useful to help me understand how everything works together in OpenGL ES 2.0 and GLKit. I will try to update my post when I find something new, or if I remember other links that I forgot to put in earlier. You can probably imagine that I was inspired by many other blogs or websites all over the internet, but I'm not trying to steal anything, so just e-mail me if I forgot to mention your obscure internet blog.

When you start drawing with OpenGL, you will come across 3 different types of transformations that are important to understand.
  1. ModelView
  2. Projection
  3. ViewPort
Since I really wouldn't be able to explain it better myself, I suggest that you follow this link if you wish to learn more about these transformations:


This blog is also very nice and has a bunch of different tutorials for iOS. The code to compile and link the shaders was heavily inspired by what you can find if you follow this link:


This blog has 3 parts and covers many things in great details that I didn't see elsewhere, like face culling for example. The only downside is that it's not fun to read since the author's english is worse than mine.


This blog was also somewhat useful for me, as it explains how to build a GL ES application from the ground up:


I remember stumbling on this blog, but I think it was mostly to check some shader documentation, like the list of built-in variables. It might be useful to you.


Books:
  • OpenGL ES 2.0 Programming Guide : The bible. There isn't much about game programming though.
  • Game and Graphics Programming for iOS and Android with OpenGL ES 2.0 : Great for tips and tricks about state of the art game programming. I really hated the fact that he skips over really important stuff to get you started quickly. You end up not understanding much if you don't dig a lot yourself.

iTunes U:
  • iPad and iPhone App Development - Paul Hegarty : Amazing class to learn about Objective-C and also the new features of iOS 5 like iCloud and Game Center.

No comments: